Licensing Issues

Merchiston Community Council has a number of licensed premises (pubs and bars) within its area. When, on occasion, one or more of these has been the subject of complaints from neighbours about noise and other disturbance, MCC has on behalf of these residents formally objected to the granting/renewal of late licences.

The City of Edinburgh Licensing Board is the statutory licensing authority under the Licensing Scotland Act 2005 and the Gambling Act 2005 for the City of Edinburgh local government area The Board is made up of nine local authority Councillors who are elected by the City of Edinburgh Council The Board is supported by a Clerk and administrative staff made available by the Council. The Board is under a duty to publish a statement of licensing policy and review this on a three yearly basis. This statement will offer guidance and clarity on the policy on which the Board will base its decisions in implementing its functions under the Notice of Application for Regular Extension of Permitted Hours

Notice of applications is no longer given in the local press. Instead, you have to look at the relevant section of the City Council website : Notice of New Premises Licence Applications

Bridget Stevens is on the Licensing Forum, which is responsible for keeping under review the way in which the Licensing Board exercises its functions.

Any local resident who suffers noise disturbance from a pub or bar should contact the Council Noise Team on 0131 200 2000 (available every day) or the Police.

In November 2018 the City of Edinburgh Licensing Board published a new licensing policy. The policy is available on the Licensing Board pages on the City of Edinburgh Council website.


Tel: 0131 529 4208 Fax: 0131 529 4207


Name: Licensing Section
Address: The City of Edinburgh Council,
249 High Street Edinburgh EH1 1YJ

Scroll to Top